Friday, September 5, 2008

First Day of School!


I can not believe this day is actually here! I have been anxiously counting down the days and absolutely dreading it all at the same. Maya was, of course, beside herself excited. We ended up walking her to school as a family and she was practically running the whole way. Once we got there she settled right into her spot, said her goodbyes to Kai and Addison and was already to start the next 16 or so years of her life. I was doing so well......until we had to turn around, leave the class room and just walk away. How could I?... Just walk away and leave my little baby all alone in a sea of potential bullies, inevitable heart ache, disappointment and tears. It has only been 5 years since we first met Maya and I have been trying so hard all this time to keep her safe and protected in this little bubble called home and then, just like that, one day I pluck her from everything safe and warm and cozy and send her off in the hands of (until yesterday) a complete stranger for 7 hours a day Monday thru Friday!!! What kind of mother am I???? I know it sounds a bit "dread and gloom" but at the moment that is exactly how I felt. I am so glad Anthony was there because I just broke down sobbing.
So, all day long I was so out of my element. I kind of just mopped around all day. When it was time to finally pick Maya up, I felt a bit more rational, but I was expecting to see her with swollen, puffy eyes and a red runny nose from crying all day because she just missed her loving mother so much. NOPE!!!! NOT EVEN SO MUCH AS A SNIFFLE!!! Instead, she came running over to me and proceeded jabbering on and on like you wouldn't believe about how much she loved kindergarten and Mrs. Phillips, and the cafeteria and the play ground and yada, yada, yada. I don't think she missed me one bit. It stung for a moment but, of course I was so comforted and happy to know she had a positive and fun experience. Let's hope it stays that way for the next 12+ years of her life.
I can not believe my baby is going to kindergarten. Time goes by way too fast!






Maya's first kindergarten assignment. Isn't she a genius!!!

8 comments:

Shonda said...

oh, she is so adorabe. Her curls just kill me! Kindergarten scares me to death. I want Kindergarten to have one of those peak through windows...like at nursery, so I can just stand there, and watch all day. Preschool starts for us in a few days, and somebody's gonna have to drag me and my tissue box out of that class room!

Kellie said...

7 hours of kindergarten??? LUCKY! We've been waiting for them to have all day kindergarten here but it hasn't happened yet. In this day and age - kids have already had 2-3 years of preschool and I think most of them are ready. But - with your first I can understand how it would be a shock to have her gone all day - everyday. I'm glad she's loving it!

Jenkins' Family said...

Maya is so cute! I can relate to some of your feelings though Kael is only gone 3 1/2 hrs 4 days a weeks. How fun to have a date night with Chris and Erin (girlfriend?) We love the Settler games! PS Seth loves the music on your blog it caught his attention and he's been bouncing around :)

Robyn said...

Maya looks so adorable! What a cute girl in her skirt and that curly hair. I go through the same thing with my kids- they don't miss me at all! I keep telling myself it's a good thing. My friend has spent the last two weeks going to kindergarten with her 5 yr old! That's just not right.

I am totally jealous that you have all day kindergarten. Austin had it in Australia and it was great. He adjusted quickly and loved it. Olivia is only gone for 3 hours and it feels like it's over before it starts!

Jodi June said...

Awwwww My baby girl Maya isn't a baby anymore! I love you sweet girl! I am so proud of you!

(and what the... 7 hours? My 5th and 3rd graders only go to school for 6!) lol

Jen and Kent said...

Thanks for calling me Maya...I loved hearing all about your special day. Tell your mom to quit her sniviling;) Just kidding, I'm a cry baby too and know exactly how you feel Carrie. Love you!

HeatherM said...

first of all she is just so cute! Second you explained the motherly feelings of the first day a school well. That is exactly how I felt. I just couldn't find the words. It gets a little easier. Just a little.

Unknown said...

I can't believe she is in kindergarten. She looked absolutely adorable! How fun and her first assignment, definitely worth keeping! :)