Thursday, August 6, 2009

Pickin' Berries with Aunt Saralynn

It has become one of the kids favorite traditions. Last year Saralyn took Maya and Kai berry pickin' with her and Emma and they had a blast.
So as Maya saw the variety of berries growing around Oregon she kept asking, "when is Saralyn taking us to pick berries again?"
Saralyn took the kids last week and they, of course, LOVED it. This year was blueberries. Yummmmmm-o








They picked A LOT of BLUEBERRIES!!!!
So besides just eating the blueberries like candy (which we did a lot of) I also cooked up a bunch of blueberry pancakes. These also freeze well so you can make a ton and eat them often.
Here is the Pabst Family favorite pancake recipe. The kids and Anthony LOVE them and I love them because they are so healthy {shhhhh}. I love being able to sneak healthy things in where ever possible and this recipe has a ton of healthy possibilities....

3/4 C. rolled oats {I will usually grind the oats up a bit in the food processor. it helps hide the healthiness...if you know what i mean}
3/4 C. whole wheat flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 C. buttermilk (a sneaky trick I learned because I never just have buttermilk on hand: 1 T. of vinegar and add enough regular milk to make 1 1/2 cups
1/4 oil (canola oil is the healthier choice)
1 egg
1/4 C. sugar

And then, of course, BLUEBERRIES!!!!!!

Mix the dry ingredients,

mix the wet ingredients,

mix them both together. *here is where I sneak in the healthy stuff, usually 1/4 C of wheat germ and a couple of tablespoons of ground flax seed. They will never know the difference*

if they seem too runny then just add more flax seed or wheat germ.

Top them off with this oh-so-yummy BLUEBERRY SYRUP

3 C. of berries with 3/4 C. of sugar and 1 T. lemon juice. Blend

4 comments:

Britney said...

So fun!!! I LOVE blueberries!
I love to pick blueberries, but alas, only in the Pacific Northwest -- not here in the desert! :) Those pancakes sound delicious -- and nutritious! Thanks for the recipe.

Jen and Kent said...

yummy! Looks like you guys are having a fabulous summer...we sure miss you!

Thomas said...

Yum, I am going to try out that recipe. Got your email, I am a follower.

Amy F. said...

I just made these for dinner. Ready for my critique? :) They were a bit runny and hard to flip so I added the wheat germ you suggested and a little pancake mix I had on hand. They were really good!! I think I'd use slightly less baking soda. The syrup was great too. I did boil it until the sugar was melted. I like trying new things, I really liked the idea of using blended oatmeal. I've done cornmeal pancakes, but never oatmeal. Thanks!!